Sunday, November 3, 2013

Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer

Hi lovely readers, this blog will be chronicling my attempts to merge together two of the greatest things ever; food and poetry! Every so often I will be sharing some of my favorite food themed poems along with some of my favorite eats and my own food photography. I would love any (and all) feedback, please feel free to suggest any of your favorite food poems, submit your own food themed-poetry, or request certain recipes. Without further ado, I present to you the first of many posts!

Hemingway Dines on Boiled Shrimp and Beer
by Campbell McGrath

I'm the original two-hearted brawler. 
I gnaw the scrawny heads from prawns, 
pummel those mute, translucent crustaceans, 
wingless hummingbirds, salt-water spawned. 
As the Catalonians do, I eat the eyes at once. 
My brawny palms flatten their mainstays. 
I pop the shells with my thumbs, then crunch. 

Just watch me as I swagger and sprawl, 
spice-mad and sated, then dabble in lager
before I go strolling for stronger waters 
down to Sloppy Joe's. My stride as I stagger 
shivers the islands, my fingers troll a thousand keys. 
My appetite shakes the rock of the nation. 
The force of my miction makes the mighty Gulf Stream. 


A huge seafood lover, this poem always appealed to my inner foodie with its raw description of shrimp. I came across this recipe once when I realized I honestly only had a few ingredients on hand but a killer craving for shrimp. Easy to make, the buttery-garlicky goodness of this meal really hits the spot. Pairs well with any side dish really; here in my photo I matched it up with some sauteed broccoli.

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds Raw Shrimp, Deveined, Shells On (or off, I prefer not dealing with the mess)
  • 2 sticks Cold Butter Cut Into Pieces
  • 1 teaspoon Salt (I like sea salt!)
  • 5 cloves Garlic, Peeled 
  • 4 tablespoons Dried Parsley (I have also substituted dried basil  before)
  • 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
  • 1 whole Lemon, Juiced

Directions
  1. Rinse your frozen shrimp in some warm water (make sure to separate them as they have a tendency to stick when icy!). Arrange them on a baking tray and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In your food processor, pulse the butter, garlic, parsley, red pepper, salt, and lemon juice together until they make a uniform mixture. 
  3. Take clumps of the butter mixture and scatter them across your pan of shrimp. Bake in the oven until the butter and garlic starts to brown, it will smell delicious.
Recipe adapted from http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/12/spicy-lemon-garlic-shrimp/

14 comments:

  1. can you make coconut basil chicken for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can make anything if I try >:D

      Delete
    2. Wait, don't make that! Make fried shrimp!!! (Or tempura)

      Delete
    3. Ooohh I love fried shrimp, I can definitely do this!

      Delete
  2. Could I make a poem suggestion?
    This Is Just to Say by William Carlos Williams

    -Nicholas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely will look into that one! Be on the lookout for a post with this poem :)

      Delete
  3. What a cool idea for a blog, Tanisha. Why do you think the poet chose to write in the voice of Hemingway? I like the voracious appetite depicted in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be perfectly honest, I honestly have never read Hemingway and so I don't have much of a feel for him! I really loved how in this poem the imagery kind of just feels coarse and comes off the page, is that similar to Hemingway's style at all?

      Delete
  4. PLEASE do something on chocolate!
    Also Hemingway writes in a very concise and abrupt manner, so that sort of comes across in the poem, but it describes his lifestyle quite accurately as he was all about the big, "macho" man image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was going to do a chocolate dessert with one of the poems I had in mind. And ah okay cool, that vibe is definitely reflected in the poem :p

      Delete
  5. SO HUNGRY. I don't think I've ever read Hemingway before, but I find myself remembering a poem I wrote for Creative Writing, which featured crunching insect bodies, rather than shrimps. In any case, I'm inspired, and want to read more of his work now.

    I truly appreciate the rather short list of ingredients -- for most food blogs I follow, I'm entranced by their food photos, then immediately saddened when I see the list of 20 ingredients. I may actually try this sometime soon!

    I really love the title of your blog and its concept, and look forward to keeping up with your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be honored to have you as a consistent reader :3 I highly recommend trying this recipe out, nothing is better than bubbling butter on shrimp. Crunching insect bodies? Maybe somehow related to pinning bugs in bio? Hehe, anywho I hope I don't disappoint, do keep reading :D

      Delete
  6. Ok stop this looks delicious. I can't wait to try out this recipe! :D I especially love how you found a poem to connect to the recipe too. I'm excited to see your next posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad to know that my food looks appetizing :) let me know how it turns out if you try it and I hope that you keep reading!

      Delete