Sunday, November 17, 2013

Wrapping dumplings

Recently my friend Max requested sesame rice balls, but because of a lack of poems about them, I defaulted to his second choice of dumplings, or jiaozi. While looking for poems about dumplings I encountered a sweet haiku simply titled 'Wrapping Dumplings' written by Matsuo Basho, a poet I'd never been familiar with before. After a little digging I discovered that Matsuo Basho is more commonly known as the 'master of haikus' and I knew I just had to put his work in here.

Wrapping Dumplings
By Matsuo Basho

Wrapping dumplings in
bamboo leaves, with one finger
she tidies her hair

Aaaand here comes the part with actual dumplings! Before you dive in, as always, please feel free to make any poem or recipe requests to help shape my blog along its journey.

*Note* Please buy premade dumpling wrappers as this recipe does not explain how to make the dough!
For the filling:
1 lb. ground turkey (minced pork is definitely more traditional, I just like turkey because it's so lean)
6 chopped shiitake mushrooms
4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
2 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. black pepper
A pinch of salt
1 small piece of fresh ginger (minced)
2 scallions chopped
A pinch of red chilli flakes (optional)


For the dipping sauce (optional but highly recommended):
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
A squirt of lemon juice
1 tsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. red chilli flakes

1. Stir all the ingredients for the filling together in a large mixing bowl until all of it is thoroughly combined.
2. Pour some water onto a tiny dish. On a clean flat surface lay out ~4 of your wrappers. 
3. Spoon the filling into the center of each of the wrappers. Then, dip your fingers in the water and wet the outer edges of the wrappers.
4. With the moistened edges, bring the sides of the wrapper together and seal the dumpling by pinching along the side. 
5. Repeat until you run out of wrappers or filling! Steam the dumplings (if you don't have a steamer you can use a colander over a pot of boiling water under a tight lid) for 15-20 minutes.
6. While the dumplings are steaming, make the dipping sauce by whisking together all the ingredients in a separate bowl.
7. Enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. You should do a poem/recipe on croissants! As with this dumpling poem, it seems like there's a lot packed into these simple three lines. I'm guessing it's a show of the female's dexterity as her muscle memory has enabled her to do something as tedious as wrapping dumplings while casually readjusting her hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I attempted to live out this poem while I was making these dumplings. And okay you and your croissants are currently fourth in line :D

      Delete
  2. I like that the haiku has the same simple feel that dumplings do, since at their core they're just cooked balls of dough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My question is when will the dumplings and/or croissants make an appearance in gender studies? The recipes your friends are requesting are not simple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, unfortunately I managed to work my way through all the dumplings and have none left to share! The croissants, however, are fair game. I definitely agree that these aren't the easiest recipes, but its really fun to be able to develop better cooking skills :)

      Delete