Monday, November 11, 2013

This is Just to Say

Hi everyone, I hope I can redirect you from the drudgery of Monday with another little poem post. William Carlos Williams has always been sort of personal role model for me because of the way he reconciled his passions for medicine with his passions for poetry while still managing to enjoy both lifestyles. 'This is Just to Say' is arguably his most famous poem, one of my personal favorites, and also my first poem request (props to Nicholas)!

This is Just to Say
By William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox 

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

 I will begrudgingly admit that plums are best eaten fresh (preferably cold!), but they partner up well in a bunch of desserts too. I love trifle-like sweets so here's an easy recipe that looks nearly as delicious as it tastes.

 For the pudding:
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp. fine salt
2 1/2 cups milk (whole milk is best!)
2 tbs. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract (or vanilla bean which is even better)

1. In a small saucepan, stir together the sugar, salt, and cornstarch.
2. Slowly add in the milk a quarter of a cup at a time, allow the mixture to come to a boil.
3. Take the mixture off heat and add in the cold butter and vanilla. Stir together and chill in fridge.

For the plum preserves:
4 cups plums (pitted and chopped)
3 cups sugar
3/4 cups water
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. honey

1. Add all the ingredients into a small saucepan.
2. Bring the liquid to a boil while continuously stirring to dissolve the sugar
3. Let it simmer for 20ish minutes, allow the mixture to thicken. Make sure you don't let the sides stick to the pan!
4. Take off heat and store in your preferred container.

For the actual dessert:
Vanilla pudding
Plum preserves
A pinch of cinnamon

1. In a glass of your choice, alternate layers of pudding and preserves until you reach the top.
2. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top. Enjoy ^_^


10 comments:

  1. This is the first pudding recipe I've seen that doesn't call for eggs, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! This is one of the easiest basic pudding recipes I could find, hope you keep reading :)

      Delete
  2. Hahaha this is such a creative blog; nice mixture of exposure to poetry and delicious cooking.

    I'm a bit new to this... may I request you do one about sesame rice balls?

    Maxerz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hmm if I can find a good poem to tie into that food then I will definitely be making sesame rice balls for a post soon :)

      Delete
  3. I really like this recipe! And you knowww, I love William Carlos Willaims! *giggles* :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks Delicious! I have a poem suggestion--Tomatoes by Steven Dobyns. It's a rather...strange poem, but I really like it ^_^
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZdKIDNEzpm1N6a51iHAMcnTyeH2iqHg8TCtyORO5U/edit here's a link to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Yes I'm really excited to have this poem featured soon, thanks for the request :)

      Delete
  5. Yum, you made plummy-pruney stuff look appetizing, with a classic poem to boot. If you can find a relevant poem, I would love if you could do a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I can never make successful chocolate chip cookies, and I would really appreciate a foolproof method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Chocolate chip cookies are a classic and I can definitely try to make them :)

      Delete